According to Historic England “Bullo Pill was a tidal creek used until 1800 for boatbuilding. The Forest of Dean Tramroad Co. then developed it to allow coal from the nearby Forest of Dean coalfield to be shipped out. There are the remains of the tidal lock and the water storage basins at the creek head. However little remains of the coal chutes which were the reason for its existence. It is an historically important remnant of the former trade routes in and across the river Severn.” Source here
It is now home to one of the few remaining working boatyards on the Severn Estuary. Like other similar places, it is delightfully ramshackle. It is also very colourful, so a few more images are in colour for a change.
The pill is on the second of the sharp bends (going up stream) that make the great horseshoe bend. Looking directly out from the pill is looking down stream to Frampton-on-Severn and ‘The Noose’.
Jump to the place marker on the SES map here